John Feit, a former Catholic priest, has always been the only suspect int he 1960 murder of a schoolteacher and beauty queen named Irene Gaza. Finally, almost 50 years later, he is being indicted and will face justice.
A grand jury in Hidalgo County, Texas, decided there was enough new evidence to charge that Feit, “with malice aforethought, (caused) the death of Irene Garza by asphyxiation in a manner and means unknown to the grand jury.”
Disturbing facts in the case (from CNN: Ex-priest John Feit arrested in Irene Garza murder case):
- Garza was last seen alive the night before Easter 1960, when Feit heard her confession at Sacred Heart Catholic Church in McAllen, Texas.
- Five days later, searchers found the body of the 25-year-old former Miss South Texas facedown in a canal.
- 24 days before the killing, Feit had been arrested for attacking another young woman at a church in a town about 10 miles from McAllen, and a judge found him guilty
- At the time, It was unthinkable that a Catholic priest would commit such a crime
- Her body surfaced in the canal. Divers drained its waters, recovering a clunky slide viewer with a long black cord that the police presumed had been tied to Ms. Garza’s corpse so it would sink to the canal’s muddy bottom. The slide viewer belonged to Mr. Feit.
- the parish’s priest, the Rev. Joseph O’Brien, told investigators that he noticed fresh scratches on Mr. Feit’s hands when they had coffee late that night.
- Dale Tacheny, a Trappist monk, said that Mr. Feit confided in him that he had killed a young woman in Texas
- a former priest at Sacred Heart, Joseph O’Brien, who claimed Feit confessed to him and was sent away from the area because he was ‘dangerous’ (DailyMail: Ex-priest Feit charged with killing beauty queen)
Speculation is that the Catholic church knew he committed the murder, and covered it up (Washington Post: Break in ‘unholy’ cold case):
- Tacheny, the Trappist monk from above, said Feit admitted, “The church protected me, the people in my church, my superiors, protected me.”
This is not unusual at all in the Catholic Church, where child rapists and child murderers are always protected. Obviously, the Catholic church has always hidden and protected their pedophile priests, as the movie “Spotlight” showed, where the Catholic church hid 271 known pedophile priests in Boston alone.
In Springfield, an hour from Boston, Father Lavigne is the only suspect in the murder of a 13-year-old boy named Danny Croteau, who the priest had been raping regularly. He was also raping dozens of other children. (Source: Boston Globe, A priest, a boy, a mystery)
Fr Fiala from Dallas tried to hire someone to kill his child rape victim (Source:
John Fiala, Ex-Priest, Guilty In Plot To Kill Abuse Accuser).
The Catholic church just hides and protects their criminals, like the devil would do.