Catholic “confession” is a sacrament, which means it was invented by Catholics. It was not created by Jesus, and is a ridiculous extrapolation of things Jesus said. A more detailed explanation of the Catholic invention of confession is shown here.
Confession was a key ingredient in the Catholic child rape scandal:
- it gave every priest instant forgiveness for every child rape
- priest hearing the confession now got the idea that raping children was ok
- this allowed the idea to pass from priest to priest
- priest heard so many confessions of child rape, they assumed that everyone was doing it
- priests could not tell anyone about the priests that they knew were serial child rapists
However, Jesus said child rape was unforgivable in Matt 18:6-14, and that you should punish every pedophile and find every victim, and the Catholic church did the exact opposite, instead loving their invention of confession, which allowed them to get way with evil.