From a study by well known Catholic author and well known Catholic site, Taylor Marshall says , “80% of Catholics are no longer Catholic by the time they turn 23“, along with other statistics. Page numbers refer to a book called “The Four Signs of a Dynamic Catholic”:
- Only 30 percent of Americans who were raised Catholic are still practicing (p. 24).
- 10 percent of all adults in America are ex-Catholics, about 30 million people (p. 25).
- Nearly 80 percent of cradle Catholics are no longer Catholic by the age of 23 (p. 33)
Want to see a truer barometer? How full was your church last Sunday, and what about other Catholic churches that you’ve in the country (assuming you’ve gone on days other than Christmas Easter, et cetera)?
How many 23-30 year olds did you see there?
Boston’s largest church, the Cathedral of the Holy Cross, is rarely more than 10% full, even for the busiest mass on Sunday.
- there are currently 69.5 million Catholics in the US
- however, this number is people who identify as Catholic, and doesn’t represent the number who actually show up at church on Sunday, which is much less
- there are already about 30 million adults in America who are are ex-Catholics, (from above).
- if US life expectancy is 78.7 years old, then by the time the current 23 year olds die in 55 years, the number of Catholics will be down to less than 20% of the current number, leaving about 14 million Catholics in the US
- in 55 years after the number will be 20% of 14 million, or 2.8 million, which means that in 110 years, Catholics will represent less than 1% of the population of the US, if the population remains at 319 million
- however, the number will decelerate faster than that
- most teenagers in the future will see “Spotlight”, which illustrates the Catholic church’s treatment of the victims of its rampant child rape. This will show most teenagers that the Catholic church is too cold, heartless, dishonest, and brutally evil to ever be considered “God’s church”
- the movie, and other true stories that the Catholic church has been hiding about it’s rampant child rape will become more available in the future accelerating the decline of the Catholic church
- the Catholics who leave at age 23 will not raise their children in the Catholic church, so their children and grandchildren will not be Catholic
- people are more likely to leave more quickly if others are leaving, which is starting to happen now. It is difficult to defend an organized child rape crime syndicate, and call it “God’s church”, if you aren’t surrounded by others agreeing with you
This is all speculation, but the Catholic church will probably be significantly smaller in 50-100 years, and may be effectively extinct.